Melissa Fischbach is a Certified Equine Appraiser with the American Society of Equine Appraisers.
Melissa is a qualified ALL breed appraiser, that specializes in the Friesian and Baroque Breeds. Melissa Has been riding and working with horses for 30 years.
Certified: (1993) American Society of Equine Appraisers (ASEA) All Breed Equine Appraiser
Certified:(1998) American Riding Instructors Association (ARIA) Dressage and Recreational Riding
Certified: (2000) Classical Dressage Riders Association (CDRA) Instructor & Test Administrator
ASEA members perform appraisals for:
QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS:
Q: IF you go to court as an expert witness does that mean you don't like the person on the opposing side?
A: Being an Equine Appraiser is business and its use is never personal. Appraisals are impartial, based on truth, knowledge, facts and information gleaned by the Appraiser. If an Appraiser goes to court as an expert witness it is to uphold the validity and truth of the Appraisal.
Q: IF you do an appraisal on my horse(s) and my horse has prior medical conditions or training/ breeding problems. Will that become general knowledge?
Appraisal information is private and confidential between the Appraiser and the client(s).
The Appraiser will not discuss prices quoted or any personal information on the horses or owners. If the appraisal is for the sole purpose of a court case, the information therein may be shared within the court. The purchaser of an appraisal of course has the right to disclose or share in the information as they see fit.
Q: What information must be given to an appraiser what are they based on?
A client must always notify the Appraiser of the intended use/purpose of the Appraisal prior to hiring. This purpose will be stated with then the Appraisal. Regarding information, it would depend on the type of Appraisal (see list below) general appraisal are for ‘fair market value', and are based on all facts on the horse, breeding, training, offspring, medical records, etc.
Fair market value is most basically based on comparable values.
An Appraiser may not be able to get to you the exact value you would like on an animal if the comparable market values are not in that range.
APPRAISAL TYPES :
1) Summary Appraisal- 10-page in depth- report, used to establish value*,for the appraised property via full research.( most commonly used appraisal.)
2) Preliminary Appraisal- Short form one or two page report for estimated value*, based on the appraisers knowledge of and or/experience with, the subject property without conducting research to develop supporting facts. ( most commonly used for , taxes, insurance or determining if a more in-depth appraisal is needed)
3) Hypothetical Appraisal- used to estimated value (when property to be apprised is not available, to inspect. i.e. stolen, or deceased. Or used to determine the Potential value*.
4) Retrospective Report- used when it is necessary to establish value of an animal as its value was sometime in the past. This appraisal would be done in the same manner as a summery appraisal or a self-contained appraisal.
5) Self-Contained Appraisal- A self contained appraisal is the most complete and complex used for extremely detailed reports with in -depth research. Most commonly used for court settlements or expert witnessing.
*Appraisal VALUE types are: Fair market value, Orderly liquidation value, Forced Liquidation value, Scrap value, or some other value related to the intended use of the appraisal, i.e the purpose of the appraisal.
Appraisal costs - $50.00 per hour
Never to exceed $600.00
(Travel expenses and additional costs are separate)
Additional costs, include travel expenses, gas, food, lodging, airfare, film development. Etc. Plus $40.00 per day travel time.
Appraisal report- the report will be finished in 30 days.- rush reports are subject to a $100.00 additional rush fee.
Payment, Appraisals require a ˝ down minimum deposit with the balance due upon completion of appraisal.
Please e-mail for price quotes in relation to court cases
for More Information on Appraisal types and price quotes please e-mail
Or call Melissa 10:00 AM ~ 5:00 PM PST in California at 707-937-2133. Please be aware of time differences, I am not awake at 5:00 AM!!